Sunday, September 02, 2007

Jeremy: This feels familiar

The only difference between the Gophers loss to Bowling Green last night and some of the losses that we were used to seeing under Glen Mason is the fact that last night felt like getting punched in the stomach over and over again for the entire first half... and then again at the end of the game.
I'll give Mason this: he saved the stomach punch for the end.
Utter disbelief. That's how it felt sitting in the Metrodome watching Brew's new crew get absolutely rolled in the first half. I couldn't believe what was happening.
I made the mistake earlier in the day, after finding out that Michigan had lost to Appalachian State, of calling my uncle and saying "MICHIGAN LOST!!! THE DOOR IS OPEN!!!"
Forget walking through that door. Last night the Gophers couldn't even find the door. In fact, during the first half, it was apparent that Brew's Crew didn't even know the damn door existed.
As the guy who lead the charge to Fire Mason, I felt the stomach punch as bad as anyone.
But I got a good night's sleep last night, and I've had some time to think this over. I've calmed down now.
I will admit, Brewster's moxie and rhetoric had me fired up. The salesman sold me. I bought. I bought into what Brewster was selling, he offered me all of the up-charges and extra options, and I bought every last one of them. Hook, line, sinker.
So now I have to take a step back. I can't blame Brew for what he did, trying to convince the state that this team was worth believing in. Really, he had no other options. He inherited a team full of players that were used to being punched in the stomach. A team which lost it's starting quarterback, leading receiver, and an All-Conference tight end... it's fair to say that this offense may have struggled even without the new regime. He is a first year head coach who has allowed new schemes to be implemented on offense and defense. After taking a step back, it's clear I should have realized sooner, Brewster is building for the long haul. The deck has been stacked against him since day one. As they say, he's making lemonade.
And I don't agree with Pat Reusse's take on Brewster today. I don't want Brewster to settle down, and stop chirping. Keep talking coach! We're not used to positivity around here. It makes the punch in the stomach a little easier to recover from.

No comments: