Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

I'm sitting here on New Year's Day trying to watch four bowl games at once on a 13" TV. It is not easy. Well, basically it's 3 games, because I don't see myself tuning into the Texas Tech/Virginia game, although I have read about Howie Long's kid for UVA, who's supposed to be amazing. Still, that doesn't take precedence over Florida/Michigan (the 2nd best game on today), Scony/Tennessee (two teams with sweet, sweet unis), and even the Cotton Bowl with Arkansas/Mizzou.

The Michigan/Florida game brings up something for me though: why isn't this a BCS game? I mean, since we're never having a real playoff system (and we're not. Read this article from the Orange County Register. I had always heard there was a lot of money tied into bowls, but this blew my mind. We're never having a playoff system) why not have the best teams in the big bowls? I mean these games decide nothing, and are all about making money. Having Florida and Michigan play each other would make more money than any other game except the LSU/Ohio State game. I understand the BCS was created to get more big schools into the big bowls, but with this crazy year, it didn't work.

Since we're never going to have a playoff, why not just go back to the way it was? I personally enjoy the old bowl alignments, with the Pac 10/Big 10 Rose Bowl, and the alliances they used to have with the Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange. I know people like the idea of the BCS Title game because it's supposed to give us a true champion, but come on! For every year we get USC/Texas, we get four or five years like this one where there's not two clear-cut title teams. Why are Ohio St and LSU playing in the Naty Title? Public opinion, that's why. Georgia and USC were probably the two best teams when the season ended, but since we don't have a playoff, there's no way to know that. LSU and Ohio State are there because of their tradition as much as the games they played this year.

So who are we kidding here? Why not just pick the teams people want to see most for the bowl games? Anyway, enjoy the games everybody. The Capital One Bowl hasn't disappointed (the Rose Bowl probably will- Illinois? really?), but I can't wait for Georgia/Hawaii tonight. Should be a lotta points and a lotta fun. Happy New Year.

3 comments:

jdmill said...

1:34 left in the first half of the Rose Bowl, USC is up 21-0... solidifying two things. First, completely backing up your claim that USC was one of the two best teams when the season ended. Second, Illinois played well over its head in the Big10 this year... they're not quite ready to swim with the big boys yet.

jdmill said...

Wow, maybe Hawii wasn't either.

Jeff said...

Yeah the two BCS games thus far were clunkers. I really thought Hawaii would give Georgia a game, a la Boise State and Oklahoma last year.

Not so much.

USC looked awesome, and Illinois confirmed my suspicions that they had no business in that game. Living my entire life in either Pac 10 or Big 10 country, nobody's a bigger fan of those conferences matching up in the Rose Bowl whenever possible. But even I thought Illinois was a bad choice, and somebody like Missouri was much more deserving.

As for USC, that game confirms it for me: Stanford beating the Trojans was a bigger upset than Appalachian State beating Michigan.

Hopefully the Fiesta Bowl tonight is watchable.