Monday, August 30, 2004

Jeff-I'm Back, BABY!!!

I have no such stories of visiting scantily-clad cheerleaders, or meeting "The Sheriff" on the high-road. Nope, no such fun for me. Instead I got to drive 7 hours roundtrip to Dickinson to watch Valley City get it's a$$ (can we say ass on the internet?) handed to them. Saturday and Sunday were spent watching the newly purchased NBATV of NBA games from the '80's when players could actually hit a jump shot. Both teams routinely scored 120 points in a regulation game--and I don't mean combined points!! Kind of ironic that, really, the '80's were the golden age of basketball, with probably the best collection of talent ever assembled in the league. And yet ratings didn't really pick up until the end of the decade. Now? Ratings are better than ever and yet the basketball has never been worse.

I'm not going to lament about the US Olympic team because I've done that already. THe only thing I will say on the topic is that to the Jer, the reason I personally was rooting against the US was because I feel like it's the only way David Stern and the suits in the NBA offices will realize that people would rather see the best TEAM and not the best collection of PLAYERS. What bothers me is Stern and others knew exactly what they were doing by putting the 12 best available names on this team, rather than 12 guys who would make a good international team. They were more interested in selling jerseys than winning a gold medal. Well congratulations, David Stern--mission accomplished.

I did love the column on ESPN.com tho, saying how we're all racist for cheering against them. Good to know. Glad to know what I am. Thanks for informing me. The nerve of some people.

At this point not much else to add, other than, as Jer stated earlier, yes, I do have my own show now, yes, it is a lot of fun, and yes, it's a lot of work. Unfortunealty I don't have as much time as I used to, but I will try to help Jer carry the burden of the website. So if you're driving through Valley City between 5:30-700pm Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, tune in!! Otherwise, well yeah don't worry about it.

No comments: