Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Jeremy: Has anyone seen my Spabble?

As it turns out, spabbling is just too much fun and it's just too perfect right now. Especially for me in the summer. I mean, there is a lot going on in sports right now, but none of it really trips my trigger to the point where I want to talk about it at length. Baseball still bores me, football isn't quite intriguing enough yet, I could care less about a hockey lock-out, and the Olympics are about to swing into action, but they don't exactly keep me up at night either. So, until football season starts I'm probably going to be doing a lot of spabbling.

*How about that Mike Tyson? He and Ricky Williams should form a club called "Potsmokers Denial Annonymous." It baffles me that people actually say things like: "I may have smoked too much weed, but I wasn't doing drugs or anything." Tyson actually said this. FANTASTIC!!! When people who admit to smoking a lot of pot say things like this do we really need to keep doing studies to see if marijuana has effects on the brain?

*Speaking of Ricky, he is officially retired now. What was your favorite Ricky Williams memory from his short career? Was it the first time he got busted for smoking geef? Was it when Ditka wore a dreadlock wig to Ricky's first press conference? Was it when Ricky was going to "save" the Dolphins? Maybe it was the time people were questioning his sexual orientation. Or maybe it was when he cut all his hair off? Oh wait, I know. I bet it was the second time he got busted smoking refer. Was that it? Truthfully, bI can't remember what my favorite was. Anybody have a Ho-Ho?

*So Nomar finally got his ticket out of Boston and all it cost him was his good name. It's funny to me how a player can be so loved by a city, and then completely turn his back on that city. In Nomah's defense, though, Boston turned its collective back on him too, making it easier for him to check out. On the bright side of things, Nomar still gets to go home to Mia Hamm. Mmmmm, Hamm!!

*As far as musical minstuments go, I contend that the banjo is vastly under-rated.

*Dougie Baseball is no longer a Minnesota Twin. I think the Twinkies are better off without him, but I'm still a bit sad to see him go. Doug used to be the heart and soul of this team, it's rallying cry, it's conscience. But during the early part of this season he was nothing more than a great glove at first who was steadily getting worse with the bat. I like Dougie. I like his high socks, his dirty batting helmet, his defense and his fearlessness to tell it like it is. But as a player, Morneau has to be the future. You like to see a bit of offensive power from your first baseman. Justin has it, Dougie was losing it.

*So, the current version of the Dream Team is turning into the current version of a U.S. Olympic nightmare. While the rest of the world's players focus on getting better at basketball, U.S. players only focus on money and recognition. Talent alone isn't going to win the gold. It takes dedication and teamwork. It is becoming painfully obvious that the world, while maybe not passing us by in the basketball arena, is very quickly gaining on us. We absolutely have better talent than any other national team in the world, unfortunately we just don't have a better team.

*Is anyone else in a better mood now that NFL Training Camps have started and football is officially back in our midst?

No comments: