Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Jeremy: A Proud Papa

I had thought I might write about fantasy football from time to time throughout the season. The problem with that little scenario is that my squad, even with Tomlinson, started out 0-7. That kind of start is certainly not conducive to making one feel like writing fantasy football.
I had felt pretty good about my team after the draft, I really thought I had a chance to compete. I had the best player in the league (Tomlinson), a top 3 wide receiver (Marvin Harrison) and a solid overall receiving core, and a top 4 quarterback (Trent Green). I felt good.
But the wheels fell off quickly.
At 0-4 I started to question my abilities as a fantasy football team owner.
At 0-5 I started to question if I would even bother playing fantasy football next year.
At 0-6 I started to question my manhood.
At 0-7 I gave up and I was convinced I might be the only person in history to go 0-13 on the season. I was giving thought to calling all of the players on my team and asking if we could put together a Vikings-style boat party for my fantasy squad, just so that I'd have something to talk about at the end of the season.
To add insult to injury, the Vikings were having a horrible season so I didn't even have anything to fall back on.
But suddenly, right around the time that the Vikings started their well-publicized turn-around, my fantasy team turned it around a bit too. After starting 0-7 I fired off two wins in a row. I still had a horrible record, and I still didn't feel good about my team, but at least my interest in my team was back.
After losing the next game my squad was able to eak out two more wins in a row. 4-8. After staring out 0-7 I felt good going into week 13. I was excited about the fact that I had a good chance at finishing up the season 5-1 in the final six games.
Unfortunately a tie-breaker in the last fantasy regular season game dropped me to 4-9 on the season. Pretty embarrassing.
Still, I have to say, I'm like a proud father today. My team showed grit, guts, and determination after a horrible start. The guys really showed a lot of heart.
I'm proud to say that the heart that my team showed has inspired me enough that I am not going to quit playing fantasy football. My already fragile ego has survived another hit.

No comments: