Friday, September 08, 2006

Jeremy: On Fire

I was instant messaging with Jeffrick this morning and I realized that I am incredibly fired up right now. I don't know what it means to be "fit to be tied" but I'm pretty sure that's what I am.
Reading in the Star Tribune online sports this morning...

*Look, you already know that I'm not a huge Sid Hartman guy. In fact, if anything, I'm a huge anti-Sid Hartman guy. I understand he's a legend, I understand he was writing sports columns before they invented the wheel. I get it. But they guy writes some of the dumbest and/or most obvious things that have ever been in print.
"But if [Zygi Wilf] would have bought the Vikings a couple of years earlier, there is no doubt he would have found a way to satisfy the University of Minnesota with building one first-class stadium for both teams, just as Heinz Field was built in Pittsburgh to house the Steelers and the University of Pittsburgh." There's a couple of problems with that statement. First of all, the U of M NEVER wanted a joint stadium with the Vikings, so to make the statement that Zygi would have waved some kind of magic wand and talked the university into it is simply unfounded speculation. The Gophers always wanted their own stadium because EVERY other team in the Big 10 has a football only stadium. Secondly, I wasn't paying attention to sports quite yet when the Dome was built, but my understanding is that Sid was one of the lead folks who was trying to push the Gophers into the Dome. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that 24 years later we can all agree that the Dome is not a college football atmosphere and in retrospect the Gophs never should have left Memorial Stadium. Also, I could be wrong about this, but I believe Sid has also printed a similar sentiment to that within the last year or so. And the third problem with Sid's statement... IT DOESN'T MATTER. It's not happenin'.

*Next up, Glen Mason. Again, well documented here that I'm not a big fan of Glen, so my ire is likely no surprise.
First, Glen was talking about stopping Cal RB Marshawn Lynch: "I think you don't go and defend a person. You try to defend a system." Okay, again, maybe I'm wrong. But if this is the mentality that we've been taking toward defense all through Mason's tenure, this probably explains a lot why our defense has been suspect to say the least. Also, doesn't it stand to reason that if the Gophers are trying to defend Cal's system, they are going to have to figure out how to defend Lynch in turn? And for the record, if the Gophers don't try to defend Lynch, he is going to torch them. Jeff and I are predicting 150 yards.

*Yes indeed, another Glenism: "We're still in the developmental stages of this program. Some people will say, 'Ah, baloney, you've been here 10 years.' Wait a minute. I've always maintained that you don't put quality into a program overnight, nor do you take it out overnight. I'm trying to put it in as fast as I can, but I didn't take it out." First of all, since when is 10 years synonymous with "overnight"? And second of all, if Glen believes that his program has been in the developmental stages for the past 10 years, I, for one, would like some clarification on exactly what, during these "stages," he has been trying to build.

No comments: