Thursday, September 21, 2006

Jeremy: Quick Thoughts

Thoughts while contemplating the Gopher Football team's 2-1 record...
-After three games we really know absolutely nothing about this football team except what we pretty much already knew: they are not good enough to beat an elite team, and they are plenty good to beat the worst teams in the country.
-Temple might want to think about dropping down to Division II in football... I'm just saying.
-My uncle is a staunch believer in sitting in your seat until the final whistle blows at the end of the game. In the past, although I agreed with this belief, I didn't always follow it, so this year I have resolved to hold myself to it. But next time the Gophs are going to win by a silly, silly margain, will someone please remind me to get up and go for a long walk during halftime? Look, it's fun to see a win like that, but I'd be lying to you if I said that I didn't nod off slightly at least once.

Conversation with a Packer fan...
Packer Fan: "Vikes are 2-0 huh?"
Me: "You know that's right." (Smiling, knowing I was talking to a Packer fan.)
PF: "They didn't look too good last week."
Me: "True, but... 2-0."
PF: "Still, an ugly 2-0."
Me: "So a delusional Packer fan is telling me that if his team was 2-0 that Super Bowl talk wouldn't already be rampant in Wisconsin?"
PF: "It's not that bad."
Me: "Yeah? Really?"
PF: "Shut up, how many Super Bowls have you guys won?"
Me: "Really? You're going to start this already? We haven't even played each other yet and you are already resorting to this?"
PF walks away.

Thinking about the Twins being 1/2 game out of first place in the division...
-If you took Justin Morneau out of the Twins lineup would they be in contention for the playoffs at all? I'm not saying that Morneau has single-handedly provided the offense for the Twins to be where they are, but look what he does for the Twins, but I will say this... Torii Hunter has 28 homeruns this season. Is there any chance that Torii hits that many homeruns if he is batting in the 4th spot in the lineup? Is there any chance that Cuddy scores 94 runs, and Mauer score 81 runs if Morneau isn't hitting behind them? I'm not saying Morneau IS the offense for the Twins, but nobody in the American League makes his teams offense more productive just by doing what he's supposed to do in his position in the lineup.

No comments: