Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Jeremy: Regarding the KG trade rumors

I've been so torn over the last week or so about the Kevin Garnett trade rumors, that I've almost turned to apathy. My special lady friend and I had a friend over for dinner last night, and he brought the subject up. I found myself saying that I'm still not convinced that KG is going to be traded, that the whole thing just doesn't seem right, and that the fact that Glen Taylor is in China on his honeymoon adds to my feeling.
(Sidenote: If you weren't worried about Glen Taylor as an owner before, please take very serious note of the fact that the man scheduled his honeymoon during the NBA draft. To be fair, my honeymoon was during the NBA draft as well. But last time I checked I don't own an NBA franchise.)
But then the truth came out.
"Then again, that could just be denial."
I can't tell if it's denial or apathy anymore. It's clear that a trade is going to happen, it's clear that McHale is shopping KG, and it's probably also clear that McHale is going to screw this up. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion, right?
And maybe that's why I'm experiencing the apathy. Maybe I'm preparing myself for the worst.
The bottom line is that KG is going to be gone. My favorite athlete of all time is going to be wearing the uniform of a different team.
The worst part of all of the rumors for me have been the Lakers rumors. I've already come to grips with the fact that I'm going to become at least a casual fan of whatever team KG ends up playing for. But I'm not sure I could bring myself to cheer for the Lakers, even with KG. Cheering for the Lakers would be like cheering for the Yankees or Notre Dame: it's too damn easy, and I would be forced to hate myself.
But this whole thing isn't KG's fault. He's never asked to be traded, he's always been the consummate team guy, and he's always played his ass off no matter who was surrounding him, so you can't blame the Wolves situation on him. The Wolves are a complete mess and (unless you want to blame KG for taking the richest contract in NBA history, which is ludicrous) it's Kevin McHale and Glen Taylor's fault.
I'm not sure I could stomach KG in Boston (and apparently neither can he), since I'd have to read The Sports Guy's giddy accounts of a Garnett/Pierce tandem for the next 5 years.
The best case scenario, for me, would be the Phoenix Suns. I know, I know, the rich get richer. But I've been a casual Suns fan since my grandparents spent winters in Arizona and my dad lived in Phoenix, and if you don't enjoy watching that team play, well, you just aren't a basketball fan.

No comments: