Tuesday, February 03, 2009

White Guys: I Love Them and I Hate Them

So the Super Bowl is over, and so is football. For eight loooooonnnnnnggggg months. Saturdays and Sundays just are not the same without college and pro football to watch, and so now it's trying to figure out to fill that time. I know that I SHOULD like college basketball better than the NBA, yet I've tried to follow the Gophers and college hoops in general, and I've struggled.

For one thing, the Big 10 is BORING. It just is. There are no stars in the conference, and haven't been for a long time. There's some quality teams this year, and I'm glad the Gophs are one of them, but there's nobody who I'm excited to see. And nationally, unless you like to watch Tyler Hansbrough do his white Karl Malone imitation (wait, if Karl Malone is one of the whitest black men ever, then I suppose he's just doing his Karl Malone imitation) it's the same deal. Which player are you giving up time on your nice little Saturday (maybe Bed, Bath & Beyond. I don't know if we'll have time) to watch? I do enjoy Steph Curry bombing threes from everywhere, but he plays for Davidson so they're never on. I couldn't even tell you three other guys who I think will be All-Americans this year. There's really only two other things I can tell you for sure about college hoops: one is Duke has a lot of white guys and I continue to hate that team more than any other in any other sport.

My Duke hatred is nothing new, and to be honest, I can't explain why. I'm a white kid from Canada who loves Steve Nash, and STILL have a fasination with Gonzaga and all of their 3-point bombing whitey's that I can't quite explain. Saturday I passed up a top 10 Big East matchup (by the way, how crazy is the Big East? As Bill Walton would say, it's a HORRIBLE football conference, but man it's just insane how good it is for basketball. It would be like if USC, Texas, and Oklahoma joined the SEC for football) to watch Gonzaga vs. San Diego. And I loved every minute of it.

Growing up the first Final Four I remember was 1988 when Rumeal Robinson lead Michigan to a National Title over Seton Hall and Sean Higgins (you know what's crazy? I didn't look any of that up. Seriously), which was right when I first started loving Michigan (I was like 8 or 9)thanks to my cousin Kristi, who went to college right down the road in Spring Arbor and sent me all of this Michigan stuff. Anyway, even at that early age, I gravitated towards UNLV and then the Fab 5, and always, always, ALWAYS hated Duke. Always. Which again is weird because I'm really white and middle class and I like guys who hustle and bomb threes, yet I've always hated Duke. My most hated Dukies of all-time are Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Danny Ferry, Wojo, and Cherokee Parks. Notice something? They are all unathletic white guys who hustle! And I hate them!!

It's one of those personal contradictions I just can't explain, because honestly, if I could get everyone of Gonzaga's games, I'd watch them. Adam Morrison is one of my favorite college players of all time, and some of my favorite Zags are Dan Dickau, Blake Stepp, and Richie Frahm, who are, of course, all unathletic white guys who hustle and bomb threes. As I said, I do not understand how I differentiate between the two, but I know I love Gonzaga and I hate Duke.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, how to fill the football void. Unless Gonzaga's going to be on TV a lot, I don't see myself watching much college hoops until March Madness. I've tried not to pay attention to the Wolves and have tried not to care and have tried to get attached or spend time thinking about them...and yet you're going to get a Wolves mid-season report and trade scenario posts very soon. WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF EVERY TIME?!?!?!??

Thankfully February is a short month which includes my birthday, which means baseball will be starting before we'll know it, and I can start watching the Mariners from afar, and making the same complaints I make every year about the Twins while Twins fans who just paid for a brand new stadium fawn over them while they take their money and don't invest it in the team. What have the Twins needed for decades? A MIDDLE OF THE ORDER BAT!!!!!!!!!!! And Manny, Adam Dunn, Bob Abreu and others are just SITTING THERE!!!!!!!!! But are the Twins going to make an offer? Are they going to make a trade? Nope. Of course not. Because they're the Little Engine That Could that runs on Twins' fans positivity and hope and jelly beans and rainbows instead of spending money and running the team like you're the 14th largest media market in the freaking country!?!?!?!?!? Drives me f$&%ing CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

On second thought maybe I can wait a little longer for baseball to start.

No comments: