Thursday, September 23, 2004

Jeremy: Don't Spabble On Me

*My fantasy football team (Baxter's Bad Ass Bra Straps) is 1-1. Note: my team is 1-1. I am not. I feel a little detached from my team. In the past I have had a particular affinity for my team, following the individual players, cheering for them, coaching them to greatness. This year? Well, I just can't get through to these guys. Nobody has played at the top of their game yet, and I am just beside myself. Partially I think I am at fault. I need to spend more time getting to know them as people, not just names on a screen that are working to get me points. They do have a bigger purpose, and as long as that purpose get me more points then I'm okay with it.

*Dear Bud Selig: Can we skip the rest of the baseball season and go right to the playoffs?

*Is it possible that what's wrong with USA Basketball is also what's wrong with the U.S. Ryder Cup team? Phil Mickelson switches equipment just weeks before the Ryder Cup. Selfish. Hmmm. Does that sound familiar? I'm not saying that Lefty lost the tournament for us by any means, but it seems that U.S. golfers treat the Ryder Cup similar to how basketball players treat the Olympics: it's important but not as important as the tour. They get more pumped up for the Master's and the U.S. Open than they do for the Ryder Cup. Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer in the world, but his Ryder Cup record is horrendous for a golfer of his merit (5 wins-8 losses-2 draws). What's going on here?

*Is NASCAR still going on?

*Whatever happened to Icky Woods? Remember the Icky shuffle? How much do you think Icky would get fined for doing the Shuffle in Tagliabue's NFL these days?

*Vince Carter is telling the Raptors that he wants out of Toronto. I hope that nobody is surprised by this move. Everytime Vince misses a shot he limps away blaming his misfortune on something else... it must be the Raptors fault that he's the single most over-rated player in the NBA today. Well, maybe not, but whatever it is, it simply can't be because he is a one-dimensional, injury prone, self-serving and defensively inept Nike cash cow.

2 comments:

Chris B. said...

my guess on the Ryder cup...same guess for the Olympics. It's not like when we lose to "Europe" that anyone attaches any meaning to that. Because, in the end, we win and Europe loses because they suck and we rule. Because we're America. Similar thing with the Olympics. We always win the Olympics because chances are, whoever we actually lose to in any given sport probably plays or trains in the US. So, the explanation is that we rule.

Jeff & Jeremy said...

I am not in the least saying that I agree with gratuitous celebrations... I'm just curious how much green Icky would be giving to league for his "shuffling."