Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Jeff: Musings at the All-Star Break

  • Yet another solid move from Twins GM Terry Ryan. As I said last week, the only way I would pick up Bret Boone is on the cheap, and that's exactly what he did. Not a bad rental for a couple of months. It's hard for Bret to get his jersey over the big fork sticking out of his back these days, but still, some stability and leadership, as well as a solid glove, should do the Twinkies some good.
  • Maybe it's because I was a broadcaster for a very short time, and I had to pay my dues waaaayyyyyyyyyyy out in the Dakotas. So when I see these pretty girls who know nothing about sports getting put on TV as sideline reporters and what not, it makes me a little angry. Hey, the scenery is nice and all, and if all reporting was about was standing there and looking cute, then fine, have all the hot women you want. But the thing is, and apparently the execs are missing this small detail, when you're covering a game on TV YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO TALK. About sports, no less!! And when you know nothing about sports and are just there because you're pretty, well, it annoys the hell out of me. Personally, I think sideline reporters, male or female, are pretty much useless anyways. But if we have to have them, I want useful facts or information about the game or the player or an injury (and just so you don't think I'm sexist, I do think Michelle Tafoya does a fantastic job for ABC). Apparently I'm the only one. While watching the end of the Home Run Derby on ESPN last night, I got to see reporter Sam Ryan (a female with died-blonde hair) lay this one on home run champ Bobby Abreu:

"Bobby, you just hit 41 homeruns. Most guys don't hit 41 homers in a season."

You're right, Sam, most guys don't hit 41 homeruns in a season. As a matter of fact, neither has Bobby. The 41 homeruns he just hit were in a HOME RUN HITTING CONTEST WHERE THE GOAL IS TO HIT AS MANY HOMERUNS AS POSSIBLE!! THIS IS NOT THE REGULAR SEASON! NOBODY COMPARES THIS TO REGULAR SEASON STATS! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHERE YOU ARE RIGHT NOW? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT A BASEBALL IS? Maybe it's just me.

  • The good ol' US of A seems pretty gung ho about getting this World Baseball tourney together next spring. I assume it's because they want to spread the glory of American baseball to the world, and think they're going to win the whole thing without much trouble. Granted, they'll have a good team, but, um, have they SEEN the Domincan Republic's team? Here were just 4 of the guys at the derby last night who were huddled around the Domincan flag: the best player in baseball (Vlad), best DH (Big Papi), best SS (Tejada), and with Bonds out, the best LF (Manny). Granted their pitching isn't as deep as the USA's, but their hitters are better, and I would almost say MUCH better, than the Red White & Blue's. I know good pitching is supposed to beat good hitting, but when your hitting is THAT good and you have some decent arms of your own, well, the Domincan will be the team to beat, not the USA. Just throwing it out there.

No comments: