Monday, February 13, 2006

Jeff: Back with the Monday Musings

- I didn't watch a single solitary second of the Pro Bowl. I don't think I'm alone. What would be wrong with just naming the team, and not playing it? Not only do people not watch, most players don't even want to go. It would be nice if they'd actually wait until AFTER the regular seasons ends to name the team, rather than week 16. Just a thought.

- I did watch a bit of the NFL Network during the week, where Bungles receiver Chad Johnson walked around the NFC practice, telling guys there was nobody that could stop him. And nobody on the NFC team disagreed.

- Wednesday will be the best day of the week: Mariners pitchers and catchers report down in Peoria, AZ (Twinkies report Sunday in Sarasota, FL), and it's also the start of Olympic men's hockey (Canada plays at 6am vs. Italy. Yes, I will be up at 5:45, and watching until I leave for work at 7:15. Draw your own conclusions about what that says about my life)

- I'm all for women's athletics, but what is the point of women's hockey? There are two nations that are good at this sport: Canada and the USA. The Canadians have outscored their first two opponents 28-0. The Americans have outscored theirs 11-0. I watched a few minutes of the Canada/Italy game (Canada won 16-0), and it was like the Italian team had never played the game before. Hell, maybe they hadn't. If you're going to hold this tourney, have the "gold medal bracket" for the USA and Canada and the "maybe we'll have a hope in hell in 80 years" bracket for everybody else. Honestly, it's like if the summer Olympics allowed American football: THe USA would win 100-0 in every game, the Canadian team would beat everybody else by at least 3 TD's, and when they played in the gold medal game, Canada would score once... ok, no they wouldn't, it would still be 100-0. The only good thing the European teams would have would be kickers. Yippee. Would anybody support this? Of course not, so why is this allowed in women's hockey??

- I think snowboarders like TheJer are slackers that need to get real jobs and learn to fly down mountains on two skis like God intended (or I'm jealous that I'm can't snowboard). I do however think it's very cool that the snowboarder punks have special pockets for their IPod built into their jackets. THey have controls built into the wrists them so they can change songs on the fly, with speakers built into the hoods. If I'm a snowboarder and I want to mess with some other dude, I steal his Ipod right before his run, and download nothing but Anne Murray or Celine Dion. That's be narly. Or radical. Or whatever snowboarders say.

- Sammy Sosa wants a million dollars from the Warshington Nayshunals (that's how a guy I used to work with pronounced it, so that's how I'm pronouncing it from now on) to play this year. The club wants to pay him about half of that. Remember when Sammy was at the steroid hearings and didn't answer any questions because he pretended not to understand english? If I'm the Nayshunals GM, I'm telling him "sorry, no speak Sammy. No comprende 'million dollars'" just to see how he likes it.

- If I have to say this every week until the NFL draft before people catch on, so be it: the Vikings should do what it takes to draft Lendale White, and they shouldn't trade or cut Daunte Culpepper unless he makes it absolutely clear he wants out.

- Anyone seen The Jer? Wedding planning has swallowed him whole. I'm worried he may never post again. So are the 4 regular readers of this site.

No comments: