Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Jeremy: Jeff Gets Mondays, I'll Take Tuesday

Muse on this Jeffrick... I'M BACK!

*Okay, I was never really gone, but Jeffrick is correct, wedding planning and the like has certainly preoccupied much of my time lately. To the two people who look for me to write regularly (family) and the two guys from Albquerqe that I pay to read, I'm sorry. (Side note: do you realize that we are getting between 50-100 hits on this blog per week and besides Jeff and I and two members of my family I literally have NO idea who reads this blog.)

*Like Jeff I didn't watch the Pro Bowl. In fact, I even went so far as to turn the channel when the highlights came on ESPN. Not only do I not care about the game, I don't even care who makes the team. While the NFL is the most successful professional sports league in the world, and while the NFL has the best and most successful championship game in all of sports, they have, without question, the worst all-star type game, and it's not even close. And (my sister loves this phrase) therein lies the rub: there's really nothing the NFL can do to make it better. The problem with the Pro Bowl is that it's after the Super Bowl, after the entire meaningful season is over. Once the final whistle is blown on the Super Bowl the average football fan doesn't care, and the die-hard football fans (no matter how much ESPN pushes it down our throats that it's still football and it's the final game of the season) don't care either. On top of that, like Jeff mentioned, the players don't even care and many of them don't even want to go. Can you imagine the media nightmare that would surround the NFL if a Pro Bowler like Chad Johnson or Randy Moss or Shaun Alexander suffered a career ending injury in the Pro Bowl? I'm with Jeff, name the Pro Bowl teams, and don't even bother playing the game. Or better yet, name the Pro Bowl teams, have EA Sports create teams with those players on Madden for the XBox 360 (which I hear is amazing), and televise the Madden version of the Pro Bowl. Now THAT I might watch.

*I've been giving some thought to the whole hockey gambling ring led by Rick Tocchet. I can't decide why I should care that hockey players want to, or are, betting on football, baseball, etc. Let me be clear: I think that what Rich Tocchet did was wrong, and he should be punished for it, but I just don't think I care. I would venture to guess the wife of the greatest player to ever play the game wasn't involved in the whole ordeal we may well have already forgotten about it.

*A note on the T'Wolves: Last week my cousin called my from Phoenix to tell me that he was there to watch the Wolves take on the Suns. At the time I said this: "well, if you want to have a good time, you might as well cheer for the Suns." Later in the evening I regreted having said that and I felt like the worst kind of fair-weather fan. To everyone who expects me to be a blind, biased, homer, I'm sorry, I let you down. Having said that... the Wolves have lost their last three games in a row, all at home, to the Utah Jazz, New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets, and the Toronto Raptors. Please re-read that last sentance until it really sinks in.... it's time to board up the windows.

*If anybody knows of how I can register my fiance and I for wedding gifts with the Golden Gopher ticket office please let me know.

No comments: