Monday, March 13, 2006

Jeff: The Musings on a Blizzardy Monday

* is blizzardy a word? It is now. What a gong show of a day.

* Like Jer I'm still recovering from the shock of the first couple days of free agency, where your Vikings have looked like the prudent franchise we've always wanted them to be. THey've been targeting players that fit the schemes for their new offense and defensive schemes. Would grabbing Edgerin James have been a bigger splash than Chester Taylor? Or Will Witherspoon or Lavar Arrington instead of Ben Weber? Certainly, but they're going for substance over style, and they're saving money in the process.

* this from Peter King's MMQB this morning:
"I think next October we'll all be writing, "Wow. I never thought the biggest impact player in free agency would be Chester Taylor with the Vikings." Prediction: Chester Taylor outgains Edgerrin James in 2006."

Again, this is a player signed by the Minnesota Vikings. As Vikes fans, we've expected the worst for so long, I'm not sure what I'd do if this management group actually puts a contender on the field that produces. I'd like to find out though.

* the Steve Hutchinson offer is indeed massive, but it's a homerun if the Seahawks don't match (they have until sometime Saturday to do so). Hutchinson is a 2-time 1st team All-pro guard who's only 28, meaning he'll be in his prime right through the end of this deal. To me the O-Line is THE most important group on the field, and getting a monster like Hutchinson would be a huge help.

* Looks like the Daunte deal hinges on Drew Brees signing. He left New Orleans without a contract, and I'd be shocked if he leaves Miami today without signing. They're a Super Bowl contender with him (remember this team won 9 games with Gus Ferotte at QB. Nick Saban should be Coach of the Decade for that performance), and they're in Miami. Shouldn't be a tough sell. If Brees does go there, the Vikings are out of trading options.

* BRACKETS! BRACKETS! BRACKETS!
If there weren't 12 feet of snow outside I'd be walking around singing "It's the most wonderful time...of the year!!!" Obviously everbody wins by me not singing, but man I just love this time of year. Can't wait for Thursday for the opening day of the tournament. How is this not a national holiday yet? You can probably count on one hand the number of guys that will be in their respective offices Thursday afternoon, so why not just give us the day off? And you what, while we're at it, throw Friday in too!!!
It would probably save American businesses in the process. Another excerpt from Mr. King's column:

"The New York Times reported Sunday that according to a job-search firm, the 2006 NCAA men's basketball tournament will cost American companies $3.6 billion in lost worker productivity."

* Want to know who's going to win it all? Don't even bother asking me. I love filling out brackets, but I never come close to winning them. So if you're looking to win $$ from someone (and if the IRS is reading this, by $$ I mean, um, chewing gum. Or popsicle sticks. Or bragging rights), sure I'd love to join your office pool!

* After watching some of the bracket shows, seems everybody likes UConn. Not me. They're unquestionably the most talented team in the country, but as was exposed in the Big East tourney, they lack an alpha-dog. When the game's on the line, who's not only taking, but MAKING the big shot for the Huskies? Exactly. Now that I've said that, they'll probably roll through and win the whole thing.

* Jerry McNamara is my hero. Just so you know.

* I also caught some of the Duke games in the ACC tournament, covered by Mr. Duke himself, Dick Vitale. I'm now fairly certain that the movie "Brokeback Mountain" was loosely based on the life of Dookie V and Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski... or JJ Redick...or Josh McRoberts...or Bobby Hurley...or really any white player that's played, is playing, or could play at Duke.

* somewhere Billy Packer and Mateen Cleaves are screaming that Brokeback was really about them. Sorry fellas, my mistake.

* Speaking of my least favorite announcer, Mr. Packer, did anyone else watch the CBS Selection show yesterday, where Jim Nance and Packer CUT OFF the NCAA Selection Chairman so they could complain about how many major conference teams were left out? I caught the interview right before they cut him off, so I'm wondering if I missed something, or did they really cut him off? If that's true, Nance and Packer are #'s 1 and 1a on my list of guys who need to be suckerpunched.

1 comment:

Jeff & Jeremy said...

I was so in awe of his Big East tourney performance, I forgot how to spell it.