Thursday, March 09, 2006

Jeremy: Alright...That's It!!!

Okay, I've officially had it with Daunte Culpeppar. At this point, my message to Daunte would be "Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out!"
I just can't handle it anymore. The guy gets hurt, which by the way is something that happens to almost every athlete at some point in time, granted it's a major injury, but it's not like Daunte is the first guy in history to have a major knee injury. And what is his response?... CRICKETS!!! The guy absolutely disappears. He's nowhere to be found. The media can't find him, the team can't get ahold of him, nothing! We come to find out that he's gone into some kind of deep depression over his injury, his poor play before the injury, his contract, the "Love Boat" incident, blah, blah, blah.
In the words of Dan Barreiro: "GET OVER IT!!!"
Daunte's a talented guy, and I understand that this is the only market in the entire country that has spent even an nano-second of time debating whether or not Daunte should be a starter or not. I have never, ever, debated the fact that Daunte should be a starter in the NFL. He definitely has the credentials and the talent to be a starter in this league. But if he's going to whine, if he's going to cry, if he's going to disappear when the going gets tough, then let him go, let him be a starter someplace else.
The biggest mistake that Daunte made was when he decided to represent himself instead of having an agent. We already knew that Daunte was an emotional dude, prone to pouting when things get tough, and getting his "roll" on when things went even slightly well. But he's always had someone to calm him down, someone who was on his side to say, "look, it's going to be okay, this is just the business of the NFL." He's always had a filter. Now he's got nothing, by his own doing, and everytime he gets upset, or feels underappreciated, he just fires off an email to Andrea Kremer. And we were supposed to see this as a smart business decision? Really?
So, Daunte wants out, and I can't imagine that he's not going to get his wish. I'm sure Zygi is sitting in a big, comfy office chair somewhere in New Jersey, reading Daunte's email and saying out loud... "YOU WANT OUT? YOU WANT OUT? You got it, you ingrate! Saves me 6 mil!"
Let's not forget that Zygi is the guy who re-did Daunte's contract as pretty much his first move once he bought the Vikings. He's the same guy who all along has said that Daunte would get his roster bonus in March. And Daunte just keeps pushing. Well Zygi's got the muscle to push back. And I'm not talking about money... I'm talking about "the muscle." I'm talking about Guido and Vinny and the boys. Look, I'm not saying, I'm just saying... I think Zygi might have some "connections," if you know what I mean. Daunte might be the first guy to learn the reality of what it means to try to "deal" with Don Wilf.
Daunte might end up in Wilf's office, and I imagine the conversation might go something similar to Don Corleone's conversation with Johnny Fontaine in "The Godfather."
Daunte: "Oh Zygi, I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do."
Zygi: "YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!!! [Slap!]

1 comment:

Neal Coolong said...

Bill Parcells says it best: "If I have a player who doesn't want to be here, I'd be happy to help him pack."
If Daunte wants out, then let him out. I do disagree with your insinuation that Culpepper is one of the better QBs in the NFL. Per game, there are very few quarterbacks who have gone under center in the last two years over whom I would take Culpepper (John Navarre, Kordell Stewart, Kyle Orton, or anyone who has suited up for the Baltimore Ravens). In his time in Minnesota he has proved to be inconsistent at best. You just never know what you're going to get when he goes out there.
But I do agree it's time for him to go. He even said it. To go back to Parcells, if he doesn't want to be here, Wilf should make absolutely certain no one is blocking his departure from the locker room at Winter Park.
He has filled this off-season with negativity and distraction, and frankly, he has only given one truly good year for his position.
He lists 15 reasons of why he wants out, but I honestly can't come up with one of why Minnesota should keep him.
Unfortunately, his most recent act of "I'm going to take my ball and leave if you don't give me what I want" will drop his trade value, but honestly, even a third round pick for a quarterback who is coming off a horrific knee injury that ended his most miserable season to date, as well as problems with the law, his playing the race card and constant complaints about his contract...does that sound like a good deal?
Absolutely.