Friday, March 17, 2006

Jeremy: Hilariousness of the Madness Kind

For the first time in history last night I watched part of the NCAA Tourny with a girl. My special lady friend and I decided to go out for a bite and it completely escaped my mind that Champps might have the tourny games on. (Honestly, it did. I'm not even kidding. I had worked all day and then shoveled after work and prior to walking into Champps I hadn't watched a single second of basketball.) Anyway, this was a first. The comments were priceless. I had to share some of them.

Special Lady Friend: "Gonzaga? I'd like to know what Gonzaga is. Sounds like some kind of street drug."
Later, with Adam Morrison shooting free throws she throws out this gem.
SLF: "Who the heck is this guy? Guido? He looks like the kind of guy who would SELL Gonzaga."
Jer: "We like to call him 'stache."
SLF: "No. It's Guido. Is he going to barber's school?"

With seconds winding down in the George Washington/UNC-Wilmington game, UNCW was holding the ball to eat the clock. My SLF had already decided she was pulling for the blue team in both games that were being shown (UNCW & Xavier)...
SLF:(with hands balled into fists, raised at about eye level) "WHAT ARE THEY DOING? Why are they doing that? DO SOMETHING!!!"
Jer: "Hon, they're trying to eat up some time so....."
SLF: "I KNOW how to play it."
UNCW ended up missing the shot...
SLF: "SEE?!?!?! See what happens when you mess around? DAMNIT!"
At this point I was beside myself. If I had been sitting at another table I would have thought she was a UNCW alumnus. She got that into it! I was losing my mind. All I wanted to do was call Jeffrick and tell him about her comments but I was afraid I'd wreck her mojo.

One comment after watching Gonzaga last night... In the history of basketball has there ever been a player that was more disruptive to his own team's offense than Stache Morrison? Honestly, have you ever seen anyone who chases the ball around like this guy? Is it even possible that his movements fit into what they are trying to do offensively? I'm not saying he isn't outstanding, because he is. And I'm not saying he isn't a scoring machine who can pretty much create a scoring opportunity from anywhere on the floor, because there's no doubt that he can. But I was amazed by how often I saw him running toward the guy with the ball, not to set a pick or to get the offense in motion, just to try to get the ball. Maybe this is Mark Few's strategy with Stache, but holy jeez, it was staggering!

No comments: