Thursday, June 01, 2006

Jeremy: Muse on Thursday

*Is there now any doubt that Fran Liriano should have been a starter from day 1? Liriano is now 4-0 with a 2.11 ERA. Last night he went 6 innings, gave up just one hit, had 4 walks, 4 strike outs and was making a run at a no-hitter when the first base umpire blew a call at the bag. The Angels, who I would consider one of the better hitting teams in the AL, simply could not touch the guy. The future looks much brighter with Santana, Liriano and even Bonser is looking like he could have some throws for the Twins down the road.

*Speaking of Bonser, Boof Bonzer has to be one of the best names in sports right now, and I just heard this today: he actually had his name legally changed from John to Boof. I had to laugh. ESPN shows his "proper name" as Boof Bonser. I love it! In a related story, Ricky Williams is expected to legally change his name to Puff Williams by the end of next week.

*I'm a bit surprised that Detroit beat Miami last night. I am firmly of the belief that Shaq, as big and lumbering and beat up as he is, is able to turn it on and off whenever he wants. I'm convinced that when he sees the prospect of having several days off before having to play the next game just by winning one game, he turns on everything he's got to win that game so he can go sit in his easy chair and wait for the next challenger. That's why I'm surprised Miami didn't win last night, I thought for sure Shaq would be ready for a rest and would do whatever it took to get it.

*I think I'm completely sick of Roger Clemens in the same way that I'm sick of Brett Favre, and the same way that I got sick of Jordan during the Wiz years. The difference, of course, is that the Rocket still has the ability to dominate everytime he takes the field. The other difference, and it's significant, is that a pitcher doesn't really need to be a part of the "team" concept in order to help make his team successful, and Clemens prooves that. Clemens will again not be required to travel when he's not pitching, and won't even be required to be at the ballpark in Houston on days that he's not pitching. Clemens will be the most rested, physically and mentally, pitcher in the majors when he starts. And oh, by the way, he'll be making roughly $100,000 every inning he pitches. One more thing, Clemens is slated to make his debut this season against the Twins.

*Congrats to the Vikings for getting the Fran Foley monkey off of their backs by hiring the guy they should have hired in the first place, Rick Spielman.

No comments: