Friday, June 16, 2006

Jeremy: This isn't good

Last week I asked Jeff for a hiatus from Midwest Sports Rubes. With the wedding coming up quickly and it being the busiest season of the year at work I figured I wouldn't be able to post anything for awhile. But I read something today and I had to comment.
Gary Russell is not coming back to play tailback for the Gophers next year.
Alright, I guess so far nobody is saying for sure, but the bottom line is this: there were minimum requirements for Russell to re-join the Gophers before fall, and he has not met those requirements. (Please see Onterrio Smith and Maurice Clarret for additional stories on athletes with no off-field motivation who in-turn ruined their on-the-field careers.)
I probably don't have to mention this, but this is not good! The Gophers might be in big trouble here. Look, I know that the Gophers run the best zone blocking scheme in the country (thank you Bob Davie for pointing that out and simultaneously re-validating Glen Mason as a coach, I'm sure we won't here anything from Mase about this) but turns out that we have not officially lost our two best, and most mobile, offensive linemen (might be an important part of the zone blocking bit) and have now also lost TWO 1,000 yard rushers. Again, I probably don't have to mention this, but... OUCH.
The Gopher football season now rests squarly on the legs of Amir Pinnix and the arm of Brian Cupito.
Anyone nervous about this?

No comments: