Thursday, March 15, 2007

Jeff: Madness?

Is there any doubt that today and tomorrow (and the day after the Super Bowl while we're at it) should be national holidays? Anyone? Every year we see stories about how many billions of dollars (or beaver pelts and mukluks here in Canada)are lost over these 2 days because of lost worker productivity. If you've got any leverage at all, you've found a way to skip work today and tomorrow, or at least get out early. Or if you're Jer, you walk 5 seconds down the hall to a conference room where they've got a big screen TV with the game on and free popcorn for when you're "just checking out the scores". If I ran a business, I would just give people today and tomorrow off. It's really pointless to expect people to work on the two greatest sports days of the year.

Having said that, I already had to miss some games for an internship interview, and have to work tonight so I'll miss more, but so far, I really haven't missed much, and neither have you if you weren't fortunate enough to find a way to skip work. We've had a grand total of ZERO upsets that far, and in the last game of the day games, Vandy is currently crushing GW 43-16. Nothing like a cross-country flight over 4 time zones for GW from DC to Sacramento to get blown right out of the building. And now James Brown tried to use the phrase "I'm looking at GW for some 'give-up'". James, you're the third whitest black man in America behind Stuart Scott and Karl Malone; Just stop it, please.

So how's my bracket looking, you ask? Just dandy, thanks. My only loss so far was ODU to Butler, but I had Old Dominion losing in the 2nd round anyway. Looking this over, I really don't have much in the way of 1st round upsets: Villanova, VCU (isn't it great that Duke sucks? This would be like the Yankees finishing last in their division or the Knicks giving Isiah Thomas an extension when the Knicks are still under .500 with a $120 million payroll...uh nevermind), Long Beach State (who, just in case you're wondering, are indeed going to the Sweet 16), Xavier and Arkansas (they haven't even played and I'm already regretting that one) are my only upset picks of the first round. I just didn't see that much "MADNESS!!!!' happening in the 1st. So far so good, but with the way my bracket usually goes, I'm sure my bracket will be in shambles by this time tomorrow.

I have to say, I did find it difficult filling out the ol' bracket sheet. Jer and I both said it's tough when you haven't watched a lot of college hoops all year, and then are suddenly faced with figuring everybody out. If you've got the time to watch 5 or 6 games a week during the regular season, then more power to you, but for guys like Jer and I, there's no way you're going to be able to cram in 4 days to become a college hoops genius. We figured we'd read a few sites, watch a tourney preview show or two, and just go with the gut. It's as good a strateegery as any I say.

My Elite 8 looks like this: Florida over Notre Dame, Kansas over Pitt, Texas over Georgetown, and Ohio State over Texas A&M. I then picked Florida to thump Ohio State in a college foosball-style title game rematch. I don't like picking last year's champs to repeat because it so seldom happens, but their side of the bracket is ridiculously easy, and once they've won 4 in a row to get to the Final 4, how can you pick against them? I just couldn't. As for Texas, yes I'm on the Durant bandwagon, and I just see the guy winning a few rounds by himself, and yes that includes beating North Carolina AND a lot of people's darkhorse in Georgetown. After watching the Hoyas today, I can see why they were a chic pick because there's not much they can't do. The East, obviously, is THE toughest of the 4 regions.

I also just couldn't pick against Ohio State because they have Oden and nobody else does. I hope we get to see A&M and the Buckeyes in the Elite 8, because that would be a beauty, and then set up the Greatest College Basketball Game Probably Ever between Texas and OSU. The chances of it happening are slim I know, but I thought hey why not? Also, speaking of Texas A&M, they are another team that I've seen in a lot of people's Final 4 predictions. I'll be honest: I was THIS close to having Louisville beat them in the 2nd round and going all the way to the Elite 8 (Memphis as a 2 seed is a joke. They WILL lose to Nevada in the 2nd round), but changed my mind at the last minute. After watching the Cards destroy Stanford (who, let's be honest, had no business whatsoever being in the tournament) in Lexington, I'm thinking they're going to be VERY tough for A&M to beat in what is essentially a home game for them. I'm just saying.

Well we'll see if things get crazier tonight and tomorrow. I know nobody ever comments on this site, but I'd be interested to see who everybody picked to win it and who your "Upset Special" was for the first two days: Mine was Long Beach State over Virginia.

PS- Vandy is up 30 POINTS to start the 2nd half. I had them also getting to the Sweet 16 thank you very much.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

No mention of the Badgers?! Must be your general WI-specific blindness . . . .

Jeff said...

Thanks Luke. That pick was Clark Kellog-esque! However, I do believe...wait let me check...yup I'm beating you in both bracket pools we're in to start Sunday.

And Kristy, I didn't mention the Badgers because they won't be around long. They're living on borrowed time.