Monday, March 26, 2007

Jeff: Monday Musings

Quite a little sporting weekend. Maybe Bed Bath & Beyond but I don’t know if I’ll have time. Seeing how the Madness played out I feel even dumber about my bracket selections. Remember my ramblings about not being able to make picks because I hadn’t followed college hoops much during the year? That looks pretty foolish now, doesn’t it? Go with the chalk! All 4 #1 seeds, 3 #2’s, and a 3 seed in the Elite 8. A couple of upsets here and there but nothing major and we end up with 4 teams that were ranked in the top 8 for most of the season as our Final 4. I’m going to REALLY try to remember this when I’m filling out my bracket next year!

Not sure if I was more impressed with Georgetown’s comeback or appalled at North Carolina’s collapse yesterday. Up 10 with 6 minute left and then the bottom completely fell out of things for the Heels. All that young talent but they couldn’t find a go-to guy, well except the White Karl Malone, aka Tyler Hansbrough- actually, since Karl Malone is one of the whitest black men in history, Hansbrough would just be the Next Karl Malone. Hansbrough’s only move is to fight for good position in the post and then throw himself into his defender to draw the foul. Wash, rinse, repeat. All he needs now is a 15 ft jumper and to never dunk with two hands and he could be a Hall-of-Fame power forward- well maybe in the 80’s. Georgetown’s front line altered or blocked a lot of his shots, which means he’ll have a lot of trouble getting his shot off at the pro level. I know the Hoyas Roy Hibbert is 7’2, but it’s not like he’s much of a leaper. How many rebounds did the guy get standing FLAT FOOTED? As Billy Packer said, he looked like a dad playing with his kids. It’s not good when you look like a 7’2 version of Gheorge Muresan. Still he’ll be a lottery pick in June, and he was white, you know the Wolves would have to take him (Paul Grant anyone? Anyone? You in the corner with the ugly sweater? No?).

But as bad as the Heels looked down the stretch, credit Gtown for taking advantage and taking the lead. I love Florida’s Corey Brewer’s nickname of “The Drunken Dribbler” but I thought Jeff Green was even more deserving of that nickname. He looks out of control and almost clumsy on his drives and his shots, yet he’s so effective. He might be the tourney MVP thus far. The matchup with Ohio State should be fabulous, as I’m intrigued to see how Greg Oden does against Hibbert, who’s legitimately his equal in size and strength (although not in athletic ability). That game could be a slug fest but I’m really looking forward to it.

On the other side it’s Florida vs UCLA. Again. As Colin Cowherd said this morning, what’s changed since the Gators ran the Bruins off the floor last year? Nothing, which is why the Gators SHOULD do the same again. I picked Florida to repeat and I see no reason to change that now, as they’re the most talented and experienced team left. Their game against Oregon was a fun one to watch, as the Gators pushed the hell out of the ball all day. Expect that pace against UCLA who’s a great (aka boring!) defensive team. Not blow away by UCLA, which is why I had them getting knocked out earlier, but that’s not how Ben Howland’s team plays. They win ugly and will continue to. I just wish I didn’t have to watch it!

No comments: