Saturday, April 28, 2007

Jeff: Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!


Yeah those screams of joy you heard this morning, as well as one from a tiny corner of the Pacific NOrthwest, came from Minnesota Vikings fans when their team selected Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson with 7th overall pick in today's 2007 NFL draft. Wow!! I haven't been this fired up about a Vikings draft pick since Randy Moss fell to them in 1997. From what I'd read and heard from the Vikes 3 headed decision maker, they were hoping Peterson would drop to them. Rick Spielman joked on KFAN, even before it was announced AP reinjured his collarbone in the Fiesta Bowl, to spread a rumor that Peterson was hurt so teams would back away. Turns out that's exactly what happened. There's no doubt a risk with every prospect, and certainly Peterson's collarbone is a concern. But to get a player of his incredibly ability, as well as work ethic, is a great pick for a team and fan base that desparately needed somebody as their "Face of the Franchise." Vikings fans we finally have one! Oh and you can order your very own Adrian Peterson jersey here. Personally I'll wait until the white one comes out, as I;ve been waiting awhile to replace my Randy Moss, Cris Carter, and Michael Bennett jerseys (the Bennett one I picked up for $10 from a going-out-of-business sale from that sports shop on 7th & Marquette underneath WCCO), but this is the kind of shot in the arm the fanbase needed. I know receiver and QB were greater need areas, but since they weren't going up to get Calvin Johnson there was no receiver worth the 7th pick (that includes Ted Ginn Jr who went 2 picks later to Miami. At best he's another Antwan Randel El), and Brady Quinn isnt the answer either (as I type this we're at the Cowboys pick at 22 and Quinn still hasn't gone). Tavares Jackson deserves some time to figure out if he's got a chance, so I'm ok with them not taking Quinn.

I talked to Jer on IM yesterday and said this was the first time in years I wasn't excited for an NFL draft, and most of that was because I didn't think the Vikes would do this. but they did! I dialed up the MWSR batphone and caught Jer at Park Tavern, and we were both giddy as little kids. It's awesome. I am fired up for the Adrian Peterson era to begin Minnesota!!

No comments: