Monday, April 16, 2007

Jeremy: It's the End of the World As We Know It

My gal and I attended the Twins tilt against the Devil Rays on Friday night. I spent the day at work in a fog; part allergies, part excitement at my first opportunity to see Johan Santana pitch live.
But what I saw at the Metrodome on Friday night from the tenth row of the left field home run porch, was nothing short of disgusting.
In the words of Don Henley, "this is the end... this is the end of the innocence."
Johan was pretty good, but he was not his normal Cy Young-esque self, and the bats were might as well have stayed on the rack.
But that's not what I'm talking about when I say that this is the end.
Look, as Americans, we are in trouble. I have seen the next generation, and ladies and gentlemen, we may as well go ahead and board the whole thing up because we are in a whole heap of trouble. A generation that has no respect for baseball is a generation that I don't want to be around when they start running things into the ground.

Timeline:
1st inning: 4 youngsters around the age of 10 try to get the wave going. (By the way, I hate the wave. I absolutely abhor the wave. But that's another topic for another time.) I groan audibly.
2nd inning: The first, of what would become several, beach-ball of the evening begins making its way around the left field seats. The fans boo when the usher confiscates and pops it.
3rd inning: Beach-ball #2. Same outcome. Apparently the fans have short memories.
4rd inning: Heard from a 20ish female behind me "The right fielder looks cute." We were sitting in left field.
5th inning: Beach-ball #3.
6th inning: As, the row of 20-somethings behind us continue to not pay attention to the game, the females in the group begin to talk about their Twins t-shirts, all of which had been bought the day of the game. Please shoot me.
7th inning: Almost nobody within my line of sight is singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," and most look confused by what is going on.
8th inning: The Twins need a rally, and the kid sitting next to me looks at me like I'm smoking crack-cocaine when I turn my hat inside out and wear it backwards. Shouldn't it be completely legal for me to hit someone like this? (And by the way, if you don't know what it means to turn one's hat inside out during the late innings of a baseball game, please don't ever read this blog again.)
9th inning: Within my line of site only 5 people, including myself are wearing the proverbial "rally cap."
Game end: Twins lose. I'm not surprised. This was a poor showing by the fans.

Well, there you have it. We're doomed.

No comments: