Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Jeremy: Back to comment

*First of all, as Jeff mentioned, our thoughts are still with the folks who have been affected by the 35W bridge collapse. My wife and I were on vacation, camping, when the collapse happened, and it was surreal to hear about it from afar, then not see the images until 4 days later.
As someone who has driven over that bridge thousands of times, who used to live a 1/2 mile from that bridge, who regularly tailgates within blocks of that bridge, and whose wife works about a mile from it... it's just unreal to think of all of the implications that come along with this bridge falling.

*On that topic, I know there was some discussion surrounding the Twins game on the night of the collapse and the following night. Personally, I think the team made the right decision to play the game on Wednesday and not play on Thursday. Taking a break on Thursday was a good idea, but sending all of those people away from the Dome and out into traffic less than an hour after, and a mile away from, the collapse would have been irresponsible.

*So Bonds finally broke the record. Thanks goodness! Can we all get on with our lives now?

*I'm to the point where I wish the Twins would either collapse completely, or go on a historic run because this recent up and down streak business is driving me crazy. Honestly, they get within 4 1/2 games, then suddenly they drop a few games and they are right back to being practically out of the race. I can't take it. And seriously, could the trade of Luis Castillo possibly have been any more apathetic? That trade did nothing to say "we're throwing in the towel," and certainly didn't communicate "we're making a run." Terry Ryan is a fantastic GM, but his inability to pull the trigger on a deal still gets under my skin.

*24 days, 9 hours, 52 minutes & 3 seconds to the kick-off of Gopher Football season. I'm just sayin'.

*Look, I know the Wolves aren't going to be any good this year, and we'll probably be lucky to see them win 30 games. But you have to admit that they could be a little bit fun to watch because they are absolutely LOADED with young talent. I know that it isn't going to get them anywhere this year, but can you imagine if these guys start to gel? The average age of this team is under 26 years old. Do you realize that we now have 2 players that were drafted in the top 7 in the last two years, 5 players drafted in the top 15 and 6 in the top 20 in the last 3 years? I don't know about you, but I think that's exciting.

No comments: