Thursday, August 30, 2007

Jeremy: Things I learned this week.

*I learned this week LaDainian Tomlinson was the first consensus first overall fantasy football pick, according to Fanball, since they had Marshall Faulk pegged as the first pick overall in 2002. Every year since then they had at least 2 players that they figured to be solid #1 picks. I would also like to point out that I have LT in both of my leagues (a keeper in one league, and a $4500 first pick in an auction league).

*The New Shawn Kemp? I learned this week that Broncos running back Travis Henry has nine children by nine different women. According to the information that I can find, Henry's 9 actually beats Kemp's 7. The best part about the Shawn Kemp thing, for me, has always been that Paul Allen, on KFAN's PA & Dubay show, always plays the song "Don't pull your love out on me baby" by Glen Campbell.

*We all learned this week that the new starting QB of your Minnesota Golden Gophers Football team is Adam Webber. It's the feel good story of the year, really. Webber, a home town kid from Mounds View, grew up as a Gopher fan, a four year starter for his high school football team, a three-sport letter winner in high school, father played football for the Gophers... now, as a red-shirt freshman he will be leading his hometown Gophers. Personally, because of the type of offense that Brewster and Dunbar want to run, I was a fan of Webber since the spring game. He's more mobile, has a stronger arm and is more athletic than Tony Mortenson.

*I learned this week that the crazy world of podcasting is available to pretty much everyone. You will soon see a Midwest Sports Rubes podcast. If all 4 of you who read this blog also listen to our podcast, we'll consider it a success.

*I learned this week that Johan Santana has given up 29 home runs this season. That number happens to be the most in Major League Baseball. I was completely shocked to have heard this, but it's correct. Johan has given up more home runs than any other single pitcher in the game this season. This can partially be explained by the fact that he also ranks fourth in baseball in terms of number of innings pitched. For the record, he has the third lowest ERA in baseball.

No comments: