Saturday, July 31, 2004

Jeremy: Spabbling

Sometimes I just don't have enough to say about one sports subject, therefore not enough to post a blog. Sometimes I have a little bit to say about a few different sports subjects. This is the advent of Spabbling... sports babbling. When I need to spabble, I will simply spabble on about a few sports subjects, thereby having enough to fill a blog.
Here goes...
*Ricky Williams. I've been going back and forth on his decision to retire. At first I was thinking that's his decision, and good for him for getting out before he became really miserable. Then I changed my tune, getting mad because he ditched his teammates way too late in the process. His comments have since made up my mind for me. Williams recently said: "I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test, I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football." Good one Ricky. On that note, recently I didn't eat the Twinkie because I had just smoked some geef, I smoked some geef because I was ready to eat a Twinkie. Now people are trying to compare Ricky retiring early to Barry Sanders retiring early. I can't even talk about this.
*Vikings sign Brock Lesner. Let's get one thing strait here: Brock Lesner has "an NFL body." Does this mean he should be playing in the NFL? I'm not sure. The Wikes worked him out twice and were apparently impressed with him to the point that they had to sign him. Let me point out here that Lesner didn't get a second work-out with any other NFL team. I hope that Brock goes from being "The Next Big Thing" of the WWE to being the next big thing on the Vikings. I really really do hope that he succeeds. That reminds me, after a certain amount of success would Brock have gone from being "The Next Big Thing" to just being "The Big Thing"? And would anybody really want to be called that?
*At this point in his career I think that George Foreman has a better shot at a comeback in boxing than Mike Tyson. Note to Mike: you don't have many brain cells to spare, boxing isn't the way to pay off your creditors. If you need money, practice writing your name. Also, watch that back. SPINAL!!!
*Gophers ranked 23rd in pre-season coaches poll. I shouldn't even be talking about this. It's only a pre-season draft. But my Minnesota sports rubedom always has me optomistic about my Gophs, now the national guys are optimistic about them too? Okay, at least 3 teams in the Big Ten are better than them. But no team has a more favorable schedule. We don't have to play Ohio State and we get Iowa at home. I still think Mason is a little suspect as head coach of this team, but, and don't tell anyone this, I'm starting to believe him when he says this is a good team. Damn my infernal optimism!!! I did the same thing last year and I ended absolutely berating Coach Mason and the Gophers in countless emails to my friends and family. When will I learn?

No comments: