Monday, February 14, 2005

Jeremy: A Letter to Jeff: Was I Wrong?

My Dearest Jeffrey,
I got your voicemail message about Flip getting fired on Saturday night after spending the day in the blackhole of Southern Minnesota at a wedding where I could not get cell phone reception. That was the first I had heard of it, and I was in shock.
Twice in the last couple of weeks in this very space I have proclaimed my belief that nothing going wrong with this team had anything to do with our favorite NBA coach, Flip(nosis) Saunders. Was I wrong? Based on his firing Saturday, I would have to assume that, at least, Kevin McHale & Glen Taylor did not agree with me. But I still ask, was I wrong?
Okay, let's put the niceties aside here. This is not Flips fault, and I feel bad for the man. Flipnosis has been the coach of this team for 10 years. He led the team to eight straight playoff appearances. And he groomed KG into the player he is today. Don't you think that those facts should afford Flip the opportunity to try to turn this team around in the second half of the season, and to see this team through the rest of the season at least?
What happened here? Is this a knee-jerk reaction? I think that what happened was, after realizing that he couldn't unload Spree and Sam because not only are they playing horribly, but they aren't putting in any effort and their brand of cancer is infecting this whole team, McHale got tired of Taylor breathing down his neck to get something done, so McHale realized that the next thing he could do to make a change quickly was to fire the team bench leader.
So, is it Flip's fault that Spree and Sam are cancer? Is it Flip's fault that MCHALE couldn't make a deal?
Jeff, you and I used to be the biggest McHale bashers around. Names like Marbury, Joe Smith and Gugliotta, will remind everyone why. We took the year off from bashing him last year because Sam and Spree seemed like genius moves. And last year, they were.
Is it time to go back to bashing him now?
Sincerely,
The Jer

No comments: