Friday, May 05, 2006

Jeff: Things I Learned This Week

DAVID STERN HAS OFFICIALLY LOST HIS "THE DON" STATUS
That's the only way to explain how we're going to have a game 7 in Phoenix tomorrow. In the old days of the NBA (i.e. the turn of the century)the Lakers would have had every call go their way, Steve Nash would have picked up on offensive foul everytime he crossed half court, and Kobe Bryant would go for 50 as the Suns were whistled for fouls anytime they got close to him (ok that one did happen). This would have been done for the benefit of the League and TV ratings and, well, me, so that we could all enjoy the Battle of Los Angeles (where any TV producer with a clue would use as many songs as possible from the Rage Against the Machine album of the same title in any and all highlights. Or apparently Tom Petty. Anyways). Instead, I fear another Spurs/Pistons Finals, or maybe, the teams that are playing the best, instead of the ones with most high-profile players, will actually be rewarded.

WHEN YOU GET 1 HR IN THE FIRST MONTH FROM THE CLEANUP SPOT, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WIN MUCH
The Torii Hunter homerun against the Royals Wednesday night that I witnessed: that was the first of the year for a Twins cleanup hitter. That was May 3. The season began April 3. But we shouldn't just pick on the cleanup hitters (or the complete lack of them): the Twins rank no higher than 11th in the AL in any offensive category, and are dead-last in the AL in team ERA and WHIP. Basically, there could be bigger crowds at ST Paul Saints games this summer than at the Metrodome, which always helps that push for a new stadium, right Carl Pohlad? Nothing says Minnesota needs a new stadium like empty seats!!

I DON'T LOVE HOCKEY AS MUCH AS I THOUGHT
My Canucks didn't even make the playoffs, but I was still excited at the prospects of an All-Canadian Stanley Cup. Now that the Oilers and Canadiens have been knocked out there's still the possibility of a Calgary/Ottawa final, but I'm much less excited for it. Whereas I made a point to watch as much of the Edmonton/Detwah series, I don't think I'll make much of an effort to watch the Flames or Sens. See this is why I'm not allowed back in Canada anymore.

I ENJOY LIFE WITHOUT HOMEWORK
Nothing really to add here. I'm enjoying my week without it. Just thought you'd want to know.

No comments: