Friday, May 12, 2006

Jeremy: Just sayin'

*More proof today that both Glen Mason and Dan Monson should have been let go by the University at the end of their respective last seasons... From today's Star-Tribune: "Both basketball and football have fallen short of meeting the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate (APR), which measures the eligibility, retention and graduation of student-athletes and calls for a minimum graduation rate of 50 percent." Maturi also added: "Our men's basketball graduation rate was almost nonexistent, meaning it was zero for years [due mostly to the fallout from the academic scandal under former coach Clem Haskins]. It got up to 8 percent, which obviously isn't very good. Our football graduation rate for the last decade plus has been 38 percent. We may lose some scholarships in the short term, but hopefully not three, four, five years down the road because of the processes we have in place." We're in trouble... I'm just sayin'.

*In a related note, Maturi told the joke of the century to the Board of Regents: "Maturi told the board members he believes the Gophers football team is not far from winning a Big Ten championship." Is that... I mean... I'm just sayin'... what the... drugs(?)... how can you...

*Did you happen to catch Tayshaun Prince's stuff of Labron James on Sunday during a Cavs breakaway? I'm not sure what was better, the fact that Prince stuffed Labron in the first place, or the look on Labron's face after it happened. Priceless. Look, I enjoy watching Labron play, his talent is limitless, but I don't support the heir of entitlement that he has about him. Similar to Kobe, it drives me crazy. I don't hate Labron, I'm just sayin'.

*In my third time out golfing this season I shot a 46 on the back 9 at Meadowbrook. I'm just sayin', I was mostly happy with this score, considering I was tinkering with my grip and swing during most of the round.

*Are you like me? Are you sick of the Barry Bonds thing? Here's what I don't get: Almost nobody wants to see Bonds break the record, in fact, almost nobody wants to see him even pass Babe Ruth. Baseball has said it won't celebrate Bonds if he breaks the record, the guy is still under investigation, and for the most part everybody mostly wants to see him fail. So why is he still doing this? I'm just sayin', doesn't make sense to me.

*I would just like to point out that on April 11 I said Steve Nash should be the MVP again. I'm just sayin'.

*All I'm sayin' is I can't wait for the Ricky Williams/Onterrio Smith era in the Canadian Football League. The comparrisons to Canadian snowboarder Ross Rebagliati are inevitable aren't they? So many jokes. It's too easy isn't it?

*Just for the record the Legislature is turning down a $35 million gift from TCF Bank for the Gopher Football Stadium because they don't want the stadium to be called TCF Bank Memorial Stadium. That's $35 million free and clear, just for throwing TCF's name on the side of the stadium for 10 years. That money is going to have to be made up through taxes and student fees... Does this make sense to anyone? If it does, please let me know. I'm pretty sure that if someone had offered my parents oh, say, $50,000 to name me, well, pretty much anything besides Jeremy, and keep that name for 10 years, only 10, they would have done it. Again, I'm just sayin'.

No comments: