Monday, October 31, 2005

Jeremy: I'll Take a Pepto on the Rocks

Sitting in the very last row of the Metrodome on Saturday watching the Gophers get absolutely destroyed in the second half was a horrible feeling. When things looked bad in the first half my "friends" made fun of me as I stood with my shoulders crossed and a scowl on my face. For many of them this was their first Gopher football game and they didn't know my game watching habits. In the second half I sat calmly and cussed either out loud or under my breath as I pulled my hat down over my eyes.
How was I to know that the pain I was feeling in the pit of my stomach was just a precursor to what I would feel on Sunday afternoon during the Vikings game?
As Daunte scrambled on that fateful play I was thinking to myself "that looks like the old Daunte..." But when he went down, and I saw that his knee had taken a beating and he grabbed it ever so slightly, it didn't look like it could be season ending.
Of course maybe that was the homer in me, the biased Viking fan who always assumes the best. I couldn't have been more wrong, and today, that pain in my stomach feels a little bit like what a burning ulcer that is being taunted by a hangover and the stomach flu might feel like.
They say when it rains it pours, but how come nobody told us it was going to be unseasonably monsoon-like all season long in Viking land? I'm no weatherman, but I'm predicting the monsoon is only going to rage on. Might be time to board up the house, sandbag the perimeter and prepare for the worst.

No comments: