Thursday, October 20, 2005

Jeremy: Some Interesting Points From Whitlock

If you don't already read Jason Whitlock on ESPN.com, I would recommend checking him out. While I agree with him roughly only 70% of the time, he generally brings a well thought out opinion and he's pretty entertaining.
In his column today, 10 More NFL Truths, he talks about two things worth mentioning.
First, a quote regarding the Vikings. I think for the most part Jeff and I have avoided tackling "Boatgate '05," but I think Whitlock sums it up nicely.
"If all it took to throw a team into chaos was a sex party involving a third of the roster, then I'd suggest that a third of the league's teams would be in chaos.
The Vikings stink because they're poorly coached, they have mediocre defensive personnel, and Daunte Culpepper can't read a defense. Lack of discipline and lack of morality have nothing to do with Minnesota's on-field failures."
Second, Whitlock talks about a classic quarterback vs. quarterback controversy. In this case Favre vs. Marino.
"Without arguably the greatest defensive player of all time, Favre does not own a Super Bowl ring and two Super Bowl appearances. Give Marino a defender as dominant as [Reggie] White, and he wins at least one Super Bowl.
I bring this up because it's my opinion that Marino, especially late in his career, routinely carried mediocre teams -- like the one Favre is leading now -- to the playoffs. I don't question Favre's greatness. I'm just saying there's no reason the Packers shouldn't win the NFC North and reach the playoffs. Marino would do it."
I've never heard this particular argument stated in quite this manner and it's very intriguing to me. How important is having a single dominant player and team leader on both sides of the ball? Is Whitlock right, would Marino have won a ring with a Reggie White-type player on defense? Was Marino a better QB than Favre is now?
I'm curious to see what you all think. (And Porta is not allowed to answer because we know he's blinded by green.)

No comments: