Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Jeremy: Latin Lesson

I just looked it up. I was not aware of it before, but apparently the words "Michael Bennett" translate directly into Latin. Isn't that odd? If I understand the root words correctly "Michael Bennett" in Latin actually means "napkin" or "doily." I can't quite figure out which because my knowledge of the language is still mostly rudimentary.
News came out today that Bennett will miss at least 2 more weeks and possibly as many as 4, when he reinjured a ligament in the knee that he originally hurt in training camp. If (and apparently with Bennett this is a BIG if) he can return in two weeks, he will have missed 13 of the last 21 games the Vikings have played.
This comes as especially bad news considering Onterrio Smith is scheduled to leave on some kind of vacation from the NFL involving botany and Ricky Williams later this week.
So we continue on down the depth chart where Moe Williams also has a re-injury problem. Suddenly the running back depth that Mike Tice talked about all of training camp is really going to be put to the test as the top two backs will not be available and Williams will probably only be available on a very limited basis.
Mewelde Moore and Larry Ned. Going through the depths of my brain I cannot think of a more explosive running back tandem. These guys have tons of experience, speed, strength, vision and great hands. Wait a minute. I don't know if they have any of those things.... NOBODY HAS SEEN THEM PLAY IN A REAL GAME!!!
I still think that Cheech, er Onterrio Smith is the running back of the future for this team. He doesn't have the breakaway speed of Bennett, but he's bigger, likely more durable, he has great hands out of the backfield and he has incredible field vision. Personally, I would like to see Bennett out. I'd like to see the Wikings get rid of him while he still has some value, although that value is quickly dropping.
So here's to the Larry & Mewelde show. The most volatile public cohorts since Ren & Stimpy.

No comments: