Saturday, October 23, 2004

Jeremy: Spinning

I see no reason for concern as the Gophers head into the Homecoming game against Illinois today. Maybe I should be concerned since it's become obvious that there are glaring holes in this team, at the very least, mentally. The Gophers were a bad football team last Saturday. Last Saturday. But Illinois is just plain a bad football team.
I find it hard, however, to take the Gophers seriously when our head coach finds a way to spin over everything they do wrong, and find good in it. Quotes like this cannot serve our team well:
"To be quite frank with you, after watching the film we didn’t tackle as poorly as I thought..." You lost 51-17, how is this comforting?
Now you look at us, and we look pretty darn good in that turnover margin..." Wake me up when the Big 10 starts counting turnovers instead of points to award the winner of games.
"...every time we did something good, they countered it, and got it going back their way. That’s why we performed the way we did, and when I say perform that takes everything, I’m not just talking about the player’s performance, I’m talking about the performance of our football team. It takes everything into account." But certainly not the coaching staff, right Mase?
Mason has more talent on this football team than he's had in his entire head coaching career. He has experience in this league and he knows the other teams in the Big 10. Couple those things with maybe the weakest schedule in the Big 10 and this team should be a contender.
I've said it before and I'll continue to say it: Mason has done a great job getting this team to respectability, but it's time the U of M started looking at a new head coach to take them into national prominence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

+1!