Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Jeremy: The Most Painful Day Of My Life

Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. Section 119, row 18.
That's where I was sitting on October 10, 2003, for the most painful sports memory of my life.
It had been an incredible fall day and the pre-game tailgating was especially right. The fact that we had to watch the game inside on such a beautiful evening could not put a damper on our spirits. There was a buzz about our hometown Gophers. We were going into the Michigan game undefeated. Michigan had beaten the Gophers in every game they had played against each other except for 2 since 1968. And on that day the Gophers absolutely outplayed the Wolverines in every aspect of the game... for 3 quarters.
I was calling my cousin, my Gopher Football brethren in Arizona, about every 5 minutes during the game as the Gophers kept handing it to the Wolverines in all aspects. I had to share it with him, it was too exciting not to and I knew he wanted to be there. We were sharing it together.
The Gophers were literally dominating Michigan, so at the beginning of the 4th quarter, as I was sitting with The Dan, I remember telling him that when there was five minutes left in the game I needed to head up to section 207 so that I could enjoy the moment we won the game with my uncle.
You have to understand that my uncle has had Gopher Football season tickets since the early 80's when the Metrodome opened. My cousin Josh and I learned everything we know about sports from his dad. I learned how to be fiercly loyal to our Minnesota teams from him. I learned about Floyd of Rosedale, Paul Bunyan's Axe and the Little Brown Jug from him. I learned to hate Iowa from him. But mostly, I learned how to love Gopher football. If the Gophers were to down Michigan that day, in a year where we had a shot at the Rose Bowl, I would have to be standing next to him when it happened.
I never made it up to section 207.
It's all a blur to me now, but in the 4th quarter, series after series Michigan scored. And scored. And scored. When it was all said and done the boys from Ann Arbor scored 31 points in the 4th quarter to hand the Gophers their first loss of the season.
It was the single most shocking and difficult sports moment that I have ever been a part of. It had gotten to the point during that game where we were smelling the Roses and it was all ripped violently from our fingers.
The Dan and I sat in shock for 10 minutes after the game. Silent. Motionless. Then the anger set in. The yelling. The cursing. It was irrational, but it was a real feeling.
I couldn't call my cousin after the game. I was planning on seeing my uncle after the game, but I couldn't face him. It was four days before any of us could call or e-mail each other. I honestly just had no idea what to say them.
I'm sitting here now thinking back to it, looking forward to the face-off with Michigan this Saturday and my hands are shaking. (And you think I'm kidding.) The Rose Bowl would be great. But I want Michigan. I want Michigan in the Big House.
This week is huge. It's a huge week for Michigan. They need the win to stay in the Big 10 race. It's a huge week for the Gophers. They have a chance to change their history, to stay on top of the Big 10 and to make a real case for a Rose Bowl bid. And it's a huge week for my family.
Nausea.

No comments: