Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Jeff: Play Ball!!

Ahhh baseball. Besides all the steroids, payroll disparities, bloated contracts, Bud Selig, A-Rod, and Carl Pohlad, it's one of the few pure things we have left. I could probably write long drawn out posts on each division and hell each team, but I'll spare you, mostly because I'm not sure how many outside of me are big baseball fans (also it would only be a matter of time before I'd start lamenting the Mariners and harkening back to the glory days of Junior, Edgar and the Big Unit. And nobody wants that). Also, remember when reading these that predictions are fun, but I'm rarely right on these things. Then again, I don't think I was the only one who didn't forecast a White Sox/Astros World Series.

AMERICAN LEAGUE
The AL is ridiculously good. You've got 8 teams with a legit chance of winning at least 90 games and yet we've only got room for 4 of them. Call me crazy, but I LOVE that only 4 of them are getting in, and I love that baseball takes the fewest playoff teams of any sport. It's the way it should be (again more on this tomorrow). Anywho, this is a combination of what I THINK will happen, and in the case of the AL East, what I hope happens:
AL Central
Pennant: Cleveland Indians
Wild Card: none

Ladies and gentlemen, the best division in baseball. Wasn't long ago the Twins were taking this one by default but boy have things changed. I'm picking Cleveland assuming starter CC Sabathia won't be out too long. They don't have a deep pitching staff, and their ace as much as anybody. Their offense will be awesome, and I think their bullpen will be fine.
Chicago White Sox- Call me bitter, but I just don't see it happening again for the White Sox. EVERYTHING went right for them last year. They were something like 35-15 in one run games last year, most of their starters had career years, and their key guys all stayed healthy, except for their closer Dustin Hermanson who was miraculously replaced by career journeyman Bobby Jenks turned into Mariano Rivera for about 3 months. There's just no way all of that comes together again. Yes, their starting rotation is probably the best and deepest in baseball, but the alarm bells are already sounding out of the bullpen. It doesn't matter how good your starters are if things fall apart when you get to the pen. Now if they turn youngster Brandon McCarthy into their closer, well that changes everything.
Minnesota Twins- You can't win this division with Rondell White as your cleanup hitter. And Torii Hunter hitting 5th. And Tony Batista not only making your roster, but STARTING. Not going to happen. The pitching staff is the best in baseball east of Oakland, but if you can't score runs, which the Twins will have problems doing again, it's not going to matter.

AL West
Pennant- Anaheim/LA/East Compton/San Bernadino/OC/Seth Cohen Angels
Wild Card- Oakland

With the enormous hype surrounding the A's (EVERYBODY is picking them it seems like), the Angels (who I refuse to call LA) are quietly (well except when they're whining about not being called LA) looking like contenders. Their starters are underrated (and despite being about 400 pounds Bartolo Colon-my friend Ben has a great nickname for him but it's not really, um, "printable" shall we say- is still one of the AL's best), and the Shields/K-Rod combo in the 8th & 9th is as good as it gets. Oh and they have Vladdy (who TURNED ON an unhittable pitch down and away for a 2 run shot yesterday against the Mariners. Sick! Sick! Sick!). Hell I'll just come out and say it: this team is going to the World Series.
Oakland A's: the only thing that worries me here is that pitching staff is REALLY young, and they don't really have a big bopper in the middle of the lineup. Lots of quality guys all over the place, but no real stars. I know, I know sounds a lot like the White Sox from last year. By the way, I don't think Oakland is that much better than the Sox or Minnesota for the wild card, it's just that the A's get to play Texas and Seattle a lot whereas the Central is going to beat up on each other. I think the Detwah Tiggers are going to be rather feisty this year, and they're going to steal some games from the Twins, Sox, and Tribe.

AL EAST
Pennant- Toronto Blue Jays
Wild Card- None

Will this happen? Not in a million years, but I really am starting to hate the Yankees AND Red Sox this much that I'd love to see a postseason without either of them. What the hell would ESPN talk about? Would they actually have to mention the 12 other teams in the American League? Would Joe Buck get as angry as he did about Randy Moss "mooning" if he wouldn't have the Red Sox and Yankees to fawn over? Chances are one of these teams make it, and if I had to choose, I'd say it'll be Boston. The Yankees starters are getting old, and I think this team will really miss Tom Gordon setting things up in the 7th and 8th. As for Boston, there's no way they get a full season out of Schilling or Wells, and it seems like a Manny trade is looming, and you just don't replace a bat like Manny's. Of course they DO have Big Papi, so that helps.
Why the Jays then? GM JP Riccardi is a Billy Beane disciple, and he's finally getting some guys he wants. Also spending big $$ on AJ Burnett and especially closer BJ Ryan helps the pitching immensly. The additions of Lyle Overbay and Troy Glaus will do wonders for the lineup as well. IN reality this team is probably another year away from really pushing Goliath and the Antichrist from the top of the standings, but hey I'm hoping it happens. Also, keep in mind I hate Toronto, and have never in my life cheered for the Blue Jays. Ever. So this should tell you my feelings on Boston and New York.

NATIONAL LEAGUE
All I'll say about the NL is that if baseball took the top 8 teams regardless of league, the NL would get one (St Louis- which means they should go to the World Series but probably won't) and maybe two (Atlanta or the Mets). Maybe. Every team in the AL except Kansas City could win the NL West. I'm dead serious. It's that bad. This league makes the NFC look strong by comparison.
NL EAST
pennant- Atlanta
Wild Card- NY Mets

Like everyone else I'll choose someone else besides Atlanta to win the East as soon as someone else besides Atlanta wins the East. The Mets have too much offense not to get in, but the Phillies are starting to put something together.
NL Central
pennant- St Louis

I secretly think that if the Cubbies could get 50 starts total out of Wood and Prior they can challenge St Louis. The addition of Pierre may have been the move of the offseason. I also NEED to get to Wrigley this summer. Anyone else up for a roadtrip to Wrigley? Anyone?

NL West
pennant- LA Dodgers

There's no way Bonds plays the whole year so the Giants are out, the Padres just don't have the offense, so that leaves the Dodgers. Also, the D-Backs will be the surprise team in the NL.

No comments: