Thursday, April 20, 2006

Jeremy: "Shout a HIP-HOORAAAY...."

At around 2:00 Wednesday afternoon I'm sitting at my computer at work, listening to a little KFAN radio, as I oft do, when I hear The Common Man say "we'll take the eleventh caller for Twins tickets to tonights game." I started dialing, not thinking much of it and assuming I'd get a busy signal. But then, the phone was answered... "KFAN, you're the eleventh caller." A 4-Pack of tickets to the Cambria Skybox, a converted football press-box that isn't used during baseball season.
Free popcorn, free soda and a half-mile walk to $1 dogs. It doesn't get any better than this!!!
It seemed that everyone in the box had won tickets. I know this because a drunk bimbo (really, she was both) yelled out "DID ANYONE ACTUALLY PAY FOR THESE TICKETS???" and nobody piped up. Either that or everyone was so embarrassed for her that they didn't want to draw any further attention, as she was already doing a fine job of that. (Within ear shot of everyone in the box, she also called the umpire, who was not within ear shot, a "F*@#er".)
Just a great game to be a part of if you are a Twins fan. I've already called this bunch of Twins the Comeback Kids. Going into the game the boys were tied for the most come-from-behind wins in MLB with six and the decided to go ahead and make it seven. I have to admit, however, they make it fun to watch. You never feel like they are out of the game. So far this season the Twins pitching has abandoned them for the most part, and somehow the bats have made up the difference. It's astonishing! How many games in your life are you going to see where a team is going to score runs in its first 5 innings? How many games are you going to see in your life where a team scores 9 runs in five innings? And of those games, how many of those teams that score 9 runs in their first 5 innings are going to lose? I'm no baseball historian, but I'd guess not many.
The Comeback Twinks scored 4 runs in each the 2nd and 6th innings, a solo shot by Hunter for one in the 7th, and a bases loaded walk off of Francisco Rodriguez in the 9th to tie the game at 10 runs each and send it to extra innings.
And then came Cuddy! With two outs and Castillo on second after a walk and a steal in the bottom of the 10th, Cuddy pinch hit for Nick Punto, and... BALLGAME!!!
A fantastic game to see in person. I know I've said it here many times, but I'm just not the same kind of baseball fan that I used to be. But this group of Twins, and being lucky enough to get free seats to two games in the first two weeks of the season, might be changing my mind. The Skybox was a good time too. Torii's homer in the 7th went out directly below us, and by the time Cuddy hit the game winner in the 10th I was so invested in the game and excited for the win, I think I could have jumped from the Skybox and have had a better chance of catching it while falling from the box, than the Pride of Jamestown, North Dakota, Darin Erstad had.
Good times... This is Comeback Kids Territory!

No comments: