Sunday, April 23, 2006

Jeremy: Sunday Quips

*Bryan Cupito's line during yesterday's Gopher Football spring practice: 17 for 25 passing, 251 yards, three touchdowns. Impressive for a spring game. I like Cupito, he showed potential last year, and I mean it when I say I like him... but this was against the second string defense. Let's not forget that.
*Brylee Callender rushed for 110 yards and three touchdowns. Did I mention this was against the second string defense?
*The Gopher defense allowed only 3 first downs on 7 possessions. I could be wrong here, but I think that might have been against the second string... nope, I was right, it WAS against the second string offense.
*The Maroon team (starters) beat the White team (reserves) 42-3. Can someone please tell me how this is supposed to be helpful to anyone? Does this give the coaching staff any good information, whatsoever, about where the team sits? Just curious.
*Glen Mason's comment regarding having the starters playing the second stringers all day: "It's kind of a stacked deck." Really, hmmm. That hadn't occured to me. Sort of like you coaching against Jim Tressel? Mase also added, "I guess if the No. 2 offense had moved the ball all over the first defense I wouldn't be a happy camper today." I'm sorry, was that Glen Mason or Sid Hartman stating the obvious? Ladies and gentlemen, your head football coach for the next 5 seasons... Glen Mason!!!

*Has anyone seen the Twins pitching staff? If you do, and you wouldn't mind, could you please let them know that the season has started? And if it's not too much to ask, please remind them that, despite what happened on the homestand, the offense really can't carry the team.
*It had looked like Brad Radke had turned over a new leaf this season. He seemed poised to give up a homerun in the second inning of each start instead of his trademark of giving up a first inning longball. Well everyone, welcome back the old Brad Radke. He gave up a three-run shot to Jermaine Dye in the first inning on Saturday night. "Reunited... and it feels to so good..."

*During the press conference where Kevin McHale let everyone know that he would be back for another exciting Timberwolves season in '06-'07, McHale blamed the Wolves problems on the teams lack of internet access. "I'm coming back and I'm really excited about getting this team back online." (Ba-dum-ching.)

*Check out this article highlighting the 13 markets in the country that have all four major professional sports teams and see where Minnesota ranks.

No comments: