Friday, April 14, 2006

Jeremy: We're Talkin' Baseball

*Thanks to a friend of my special lady friend and I, we got the opportunity to attend the Twins home opener on Tuesday. Pretty nice little Tuesday evening we had there at the Dome. In talking to my cousin a few hours before the game, this conversation took place...
Josho: "Whose pitching tonight?"
Jer: "Radke."
Josho: "Oh..."
Jer: "So yeah, I figure we'll be watching him give up his first home run around 7:27 tonight."
Well, according to the Metrodome clock I was off by exactly 20 minutes. First pitch was late because of the Kirby Puckett tribute before the game (more on that later), and somehow Radke battled through the first inning without giving up a dinger... he saved that for the second inning. I can't bash Radke too bad, however, he did battle through giving up three wins in the third and one in the fourth. Nice to see the Twins bats supporting the pitching staff.
*If you read this blog regularly (which according to the hit counter people are reading, we just can't figure out who the heck is reading out there, do you people have an opinion on anything... or a pulse?) you know that I get a bit emotional when it comes to my teams. When Kirby passed away I wrote a tear-laden (mine, not yours) post about how Kirby had affected me in my younger days. Well, a couple of tears came back to me on Tuesday night. (Geez, am I ever a sap! For the life of me I can't figure out what gets into me! I think it has more to do with the memories surrounding the teams, than the teams themselves... that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.) The tribute to Kirby before the game was nice. Placing Kirby's "34" on the turf in centerfield is a really nice touch.
*The Twins seem to have a flair for the dramatic. Go ahead and start calling them the comeback kids. A bit of a penchant for slow starts from this team, but like I said before, at least they seem to be getting the bats going a little bit. They started out 1-5, they are now 4-5 and looking sharp. In addition they had to come from behind to win all three games with the A's. This is Comeback Kids Territory.
*Jim Thome has hit 4 homeruns in his last 4 games, 5 for the season so far. We didn't need that guy did we? No, sure didn't! Did we? Son of a...
*The Yanks are in town this weekend. They've had to scratch and claw to get above .500. And who was that team that they just swept in order to get above .500? Was it the A's? Oh, no... that was the Twins who just swept the A's. Oh yeah, it was the Royals. The Yankees needed a sweep of the Royals to get above .500. (That felt good! Gotta get those shots of the Yankees in while we can, there might not be many chances. Of course, they are a game above .500, and we are a game below .500... son of a ...)

No comments: