Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Jeff: Top 20 NFL QB's

BRETT FAVRE IS COMING BACK!!! I know, I know, what were the chances of the guy taking all offseason to make his decision so all the attention can be focused on him? It's not like he's done this the past 5 years or anything. It'll be 2011 (when Favre will be throwing 39 INT's a year) and he's still going to be asking himself whether he's got the passion or the love of the game or as big an ego as Terrell Owens (whoops how'd that get in there? hahaha). Anyway, I could care less about Favre coming back, and as a Vikings fan, this is a good day because not only are the Pack not a playoff team with Favre, he's further stunting the development of backup Aaron Rodgers. Long live Brett!!

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because ESPN.com wanted people's opinion of where Favre ranks among the 20 best QB's in the league. I did my rankings, and of course "SportsNation" didn't agree with me. Why? Because apparently most sports fans are idiots and buy into the hype. Guess who was #1? Peyton Manning. OF course he was. Hey if you're listing the best regular-season or Pro Bowl or fantasy QB's, then Peyton's your guy. But if you count winning in the postseason, well I just can't do it. Before looking at the list I said there's no way Favre is still a top 10 QB. But after seeing it, I was either appalled or amazed at the lack of quality NFL quarterbacks right now. Has the position ever been worse? That's a topic for another day.

Anyway, here's my rankings, with the general public's opinions in brackets:

1. Tom Brady, Patriots (2)
2. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers (3)
3. Peyton Manning, Colts (1)
4. Carson Palmer, Bengals (4)
5. Matt Hasselbeck, Hawks (7)
6. Drew Brees, Chargers (8)
7. Jake Delhomme, Panthers (9)
8. Donovan McNabb, Eagles (6)
9. Brett Favre, Cheese (5)
10. Trent Green, Chiefs (12)
11. Daunte Culpepper, Dolphins (13)
12. Marc Bulger, Rams (17)
13. Eli Manning, Giants (14)
14. Byron Leftwich, Jaguars (15)
15. Mark Brunnell, Redskins (20)
16. Jake Plummer, Broncos (11)
17. Steve McNair, Titans (18)
18. Mike Vick, Falcons (10)
19. Drew Bledsoe, Cowboys (16)
20. Brad Johnson, Vikings (19)

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Is all the hatred for Favre necessary? I think you're a closet Packers fan . . . .

Jeff said...

Kristy,

A closet Cheesehead? Um no. I'm just tired of all the nation-wide Favre-worship. He loves the game, he plays with passion, he's a leader. I get it. He's also an egomaniac who calls out teammates (Javon Walker) for holding out, yet for the 4th consecutive year he talks retirement so everybody can laud him for his greatness, and so he can make comments like "what are they going to do, cut me?"

He's a great player, but I don't have the confidence others do that he'll be able to walk away at the right time. He loves the spotlight too much. He'll be playing well past his prime, and I think he'll be in another uniform in 2007 because the Pack will finally have had enough.

Anyway, as a Vikings fan, I'm looking forward to another Favre season. I think 30 INT's and another losing year are very attainable.

Kristy said...

Jeff,

Remember, the guy is rebuilding his hometown. He needs the 10 mil.

And despite the egomania and playing past his prime, he still made your Top 10 list, which says something.

As a Scony girl, am I ready to see him move on? Yes. But maybe, just MAYBE, he can pull out a winning season and finally retire with some dignity.

I'm one of those hopeful types and you (as a long-time Vikes fan) surely understand this.